A Simple Guide to Teaching

 

I have taught many classes, Individual students, large groups, or two or three people. I have enjoyed teaching many subjects as well, Intro to knitting, How to Knit Briannas Complete, Intro to Crochet, and How to knit Socks. Although it may be easy for you to knit, it is very hard to teach someone how to knit! 
I have always enjoyed the how-to part of knitting or crochet. It has been so much fun and is a perfect pass time. Join me and I'll show you what I did to start teaching.  

1. Don't teach too much.


This was a very hard idea for me to understand, there is a line of information that can be too much for a new knitter/crocheter. There can be too much information that can cause an information overload and off rail the whole learning process! 
If you are teaching someone who has never knit or crocheted, Start with the basics. 
Chose one cast on, One stitch, and maybe a bind off! The more you teach the more confused they will be. Start simple and continue to harder as more lessons, as they get more comfortable with knitting or crocheting.  When I started teaching, I started off by talking about some of my own achievements, and how I was taught to knit and crochet. Being personable gives you a human side. 


2. Always Finish the Project Ahead of time.    

This is one of the steps that is a little obvious. It always helps people to see what they are going to be making and taking home! Lots of photos and passing it around and letting them investigate it is a great learning tool

3. Use All Resources You Can.


I use PowerPoints or google slides, Written out details, A list of items, and a basic rundown of what will be taught. I use videos from Studio Knit, and Very Pink. Videos are great for students that are fantastic resources.




There will be more blog posts to come! 














Comments